2008年10月21日火曜日

Story of Halloween -jack o' lantern-

In the small island called Ireland in the Europe, there was a man called Jack who likes liquor, always drinks and deceiving a person. It was night of Halloween. When Jack drank as always in a bar, he met the devil, and the devil said "give me your soul". Jack said,"OK.I'll give my soul. But please give me another cup of liquor". The devil thought only one cup of liquor is OK. And he changed himself into the money to buy a cup of liquor. Then Jack put quickly the money in his wallet. Jack said "if you want to go out, you will have dealings". The devil agreed. Jack said "unless you took a soul from me for ten years, I'll go out you from a wallet.”

Ten years passed, that devil appeared again. The devil said "I get your soul in this time". Jack said "I understood.I'll give my soul. But will you take one apple on that tree?" The devil climbed the tree. Then Jack craved with a cross to a tree quickly. The devil is afraid of it and cannot stand. "Take it down, please take it down". Jack let the devil promise to never take his soul and took down the devil from a tree.

Jack got old and has died,“Can I enter the hell". The devil said "I can't get your soul. I promised". Jack was at a loss. "where should I go?" The devil said "go back to the place where you were". Jack has begun to return. The way was very dark, and wind awfully blew. Jack asked the devil. "Give me a light because it's dark, and I don't see a way very well". The devil gave one lump that blazed in hell to Jack. Jack put a lump in a turnip and made a lantern. And he started to wander in the world and the next world with the lantern. It was the opening of the trip of Jack who did not have a hope of this going.

The lantern which Jack had gradually became the symbol of the soul of dead people.In U.S.A., a turnip became the pumpkin.A turnip didn't have much friendly feeling in U.S.A., ]it seems to have been commonly used to make a lantern with a pumpkin because a lot of pumpkins were able to adopt it.

0 件のコメント: